It happened without me realizing it. There was no fanfare, no flashing marker lights, no "AHA moment" for this one. It was after our annual tradition of having a candle-lit Christmas dinner at my mom's house when I first realized it. My Brother In Law (skinny sister's husband, who has been battling weight fiercely for years) said "Oh, man!! I feel TOO full!! This doesn't even feel good!! I ate TOO much!!" Everyone else joined the chorus, except me. The food was delicious, but there was alot left on my plate--(my eyes are STILL bigger than my stomach). Then it hit me. I haven't had that feeling since June 9th-- the day before I started my 20 carb pre-op diet. Oh, I've had panic-stricken PB runs from eating too fast or too much for my pouch, but that resolved itself in one or two gags. I've also had moments of feeling like I've made the wrong choices with the foods that I've eaten. But the other one--overeating...it is starting to settle in that I am finally free from that!!
I was in the bookstore the other day and I saw one of the best-selling books on display called "The End of Overeating". I looked at the big piece of carrot cake on the front cover and smiled. I LOVE the title, but for different reasons. That's one diet book that I don't have to buy.
When I first brought up the lap-band surgery to my family (at this point insurance had already approved me), my skinny sister was so disturbed by the mental image of me sitting there trying to choke down 1/4 of a piece of pizza instead of being able to "enjoy" it. She worried about it being too drastic, the anti-immune reactions my body would have against it (she's in med school), and me regretting it and having to self-pay to have it removed. I remember telling her that for me food wasn't the same as it was for her. For ME, my relationship with food was a love/hate relationship. I felt like I didn't have self-control and felt like it ruled me. I could succeed in EVERY OTHER AREA OF MY LIFE----why not that. The band was just a different version of self-control--one that meant business. She hasn't asked me yet, but I know some day it will come. Would I "give it all up" to have the surgery again? :o) I'll be like.....Really???
This is my biggest NSV to date---the end of overeating.
Bu-bye now...it's nothin but the taillights from me!


5 comments:
Congrats! You have a great blog! I'm looking forward to reading more from you. You're VERY insightful.
I remember too well that drive to eat until I was stuffed full and uncomfortable. That love/hate thing.
Not anymore! And I'm never going back.
So happy for you. I too have a skinny sister (well not as skinny as when we were growing up) and she is the only sibling I haven't told. The other 3 know. Not sure if I ever want to hear her pontificate about how I should just eat right. I want this band to do exactly the same as you-not to overeat. Congrats on this NSV-super insight and feeling of accomplishment.
Great post! It's funny how these things just sneak up on us if we're paying attention...great insight!
Wow I hate to admit I just sat here reading this with tears streaming down my face. Sorry having some major emotional issues the last couple days but this made me so happy. What you just achieved is what I want to achieve one day. That is my goal. All of life that I can remember till now I have the love hate relationship with food. I would stuff my face all day long and cry all night long because I couldnt stop that cycle. Really took a toll on my self esteem. I am hoping with the help of this band I can learn to just love food and not be intoxicated by it like a drug. You give me so much hope!
BB--awww...I'm glad I made you happy! You will get there--just keep putting one foot in front of the other. You've already taken a HUGE step in the right direction! The rest will happen.
Post a Comment