Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Reality Show Loser that gained it all back

Day 2 of my four day win is going well so far! Yesterday went really well, and I did my 30 minutes on the treadmill even though my dumb cyst was KILLING ME!! After my repeated yelling about how I wanted to get off the treadmill my DD thought I needed a little pick-me-up...so she said, "Mom, I'm going to be your Jillian, Ok??" I was like, sure...?? Then she did the only thing she's ever seen a trainer do. Literally stood up on the front of the treadmill so she was above eye level with me and was shrieking "YOU WILL DO THIS!! DON'T TELL ME YOU CAN'T!!!  I DON'T WANT TO HEAR 'I CAN'T' COME OUT OF YOUR MOUTH!!!" 

HAHAHAHA that cracked me up!! I think she needs to see some other training techniques...I told her to be more like Bob next time. But I did it...30 minute treadmill accomplished.

After all of that disturbing my calm,  I watched a show from TLC that my DH had DVRed for me...I think it was called "Reality Show Loser". It was about Erik Chopin--The Biggest Loser Season 3(?) winner...who "gained it all back". I had heard about this...and I really wanted to see what was up with the whole deal.   Anyway, WOW...it was really one of those stories where you watch it and feel every emotion this guy is going thru. It was pretty stark showing what really happened--lots of slams of Biggest Loser and their lack of followup..etc. He was once on top of the world--195 pounds, looking good..and then his wife said, she could see him relaxing, eating just a little more, just a little more, and the pounds started creeping back on. At first it was slow, then after a certain point the "floodgates opened" and he was out of control eating. He knew how to lose the weight thru extreme measures, but the pace of day to day was not enough to keep him motivated. During the show, his wife got down a box that was full of Biggest Loser paraphernalia from the attic. I guess she thought it might motivate him "See you've done this before--you can do it again" kind of thing, but he didn't even want to look at it.  Don't you just know EXACTLY how that would feel?! Like rubbing your nose in your own failure.  Of course he doesn't want to look at it, Dingbat!! Most of the show was him grappling with finding the motivation to get back in shape. No carrot on a stick $250,000 prize and a giant scale to keep him driven anymore. I just felt for the guy and wished there was some kind of revelation or assistance that I could give the people I know and love going thru those feelings of failure and defeat. I guess we all have to go thru and learn from our own experience...but sometimes I fantasize about laproscopically going into loved-ones abdomens and slipping a band on them. Fill Fill Fill...see?! You didn't die from the operation! You CAN say no to food. It doesn't have to control you--just THAT alone is worth the $$.  Now I KNOW the band isn't for everyone---but I can't help thinking that it would help!!

Anyway---I really hope the best for this guy.

3 comments:

Sandy said...

I loved that your DD got you motivated to finish the treadmill. Too funny. You should tape her screaming that at you so you can put it with your music and everytime you want to quit, switch to her scream.

I too did a post about the biggest losers not keeping it off but another bandster from Michigan mentioned she knows a few of them in her area that kept the weight off. I think if they ended up til the end at the ranch, they didn't really learn to do it at home. The ones who went home early had the benefit of fitting it in with their lifestyle. I hate the screaming and the voting off--you're a failure if you don't lose much. Self-esteem doesn't seem to be the best on the show but then we would do anything to lose weight. The band is our friend. It only yells when we feed it too much.

Lap Band Groupie said...

Man that show just made me sad...I've seen so many of them that have gained it back...or at least a good portion of it like him.

Pretty ;-)

♥ Drazil ♥ said...

I'm always watching that show. Did you know there's actually an ifit workout with Jillian's voice screaming at you? I bet there's one with Bob too. Some network just did a whole show on quite a few of them and where they are now. It was interesting. Bob even met with the Eric guy you saw the show about. I love this post - I don't have a lap band - but some days I wish I did - I just want to fit in with the group! LOL