Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The tension between goals and gratitude.

Somewhere around the first part of January, I picked up an audio-book called "Gratitude".  (I do try to "redeem the time" on my commute to work once in a while!) Anyway, it started off unassuming...talking about how gratitude is a common theme in all the world--in all languages and all major religions. But as it went on and I began to practice the different aspects of gratefullness---I was blown away by the power in that one element. As I would pause the CD and start--one by one--thanking God for the blessings in my life, thanking God for two legs that would walk, thanking God for my house, my daughter, my husband...I was overwhelmed with JOY.  Deep, warm-fuzzy, enveloping joy. It dissolved the feelings of envy I had for my friend's with big yards, the feelings of defeat that I've only lost 25 pounds, the anger from the last fight my husband and I had, and the feelings of discontentment with my current job. Instead peace and joy. The realization inside that things are exactly the way they need to be right now--that God has a purpose.



I've lived most of my life as a type-A personality--always striving for a higher plain (BG--is that right or is it plane?), dutifully writing down my New Year's Resolutions--with action steps and target dates.  Only to write the same ones down again the next year. Cycles of defeat, discouragement, perfectionism, failure....over and over, year after year.

Well, this Gratitude CD said that in a study of two groups of people that was done a few years ago--the group that kept a daily gratitude journal, improved their health (blood pressure, sleep cycles, stress levels), exercised more often and accomplished more personal goals. I kept pushing back on my CD player until that really sank in. How could one practice (seemingly unrelated--and not containing ephedra) make me exercise more often---or accomplish more personal goals?

So, since then, I have been doing this practice, and it really IS powerful and amazing. Especially, when I get off-balance and lean too far into the feelings of inadequacy, comparison and perfectionism--which are the toxic opposite of gratitude. With regards to my weightloss it has made me go out and buy some new size 12 jeans, even though I had some old ones still in the closet. I was really happy about my progress so far and wanted to look good while I was happy! :o)

Since I started this journey, one sentiment that I have heard over and over again, is the desire to figure out the keys to unlocking the power of the mind in this weightloss battle. It seems so me that if that one factor were really uncovered, then success would come easily. One other book I read--which I can't remember the title of---the author began at four-hundred-something pounds. He described himself as being an expert of the philosophy of nutrition and exercise. SO TRUE of many of us on this journey. We KNOW what we need to do--it's just applying the mind to DO IT.  I don't know yet if the keys are the same for everybody, but I know for me, a very integral key for my mind is gratitude. I feel like I've found a diamond!

So--since working on this practice--I've come to recognize a tension between this gratitude key and the goals key. Where's the balance? How do you be deeply grateful yet strive?

I'm still trying to figure out what that looks like for me.

5 comments:

Lap Band Groupie said...

OMG...I needed one of Lena's 'spew alerts'...I about inhaled my soup LOL! Had to look that one up too as I wasn't sure either...It's 'plane' because it's used as a noun (as in 'higher plane of existence'). I'm sure even grammar check wouldn't have caught that one LOL!

OK, back to business...this was an AWESOME post! I made the whole family do 'gratitude journals' one year...but like the NYResolutions though...they dropped off as even I got bored. You're right though...it's a hard balance to find...I've been kicking myself in the bum lately because I've been whining about loose skin and wrinkles when I should be grateful for all the weight gone...and God knows I didn't care or even know what I looked like Obese, so why the heck do I care so much now? Let me know if you figure it out as I haven't! ((hugs)) GF!

Dinnerland said...

Great question at the end of your blog-- how can you be grateful / accepting and still strive.

I hear that struggle. I don't know the answer... but perhaps it lies in being grateful in the small things that happen each day (there is a practice of finding 3 things to be grateful for each day and then saying what caused those 3 things in an area called "positive psychology.")

Then you can STRIVE for goals that are larger than day to day while still remaining grateful for the small stuff.

perhaps I will work on practicing what I'm preaching here-- but I certainly feel that it is a huge task!!

♥ Drazil ♥ said...

Great blog. Ever see the Oprah episode where she talks about her grateful journal? Three things a day every day she writes - and says it changed her life. I've done this too and it makes you "find" things like a sunset you would normally have overlooked....

carla said...

Hi, just wanted to stop by and let you know that I am excited to follow you on your journey now that you are "out of the closet"
I was very nervous starting a blog and sharing my ups and downs but it has been very therapeutic

Lap Band Groupie said...

Good Idea- I'll try to do a nutrition post...I'll need to track a few days first, and not over this weekend as we're going out (I only do this when I'm having problem...like this up and down 3 pounds LOL).